Sunday, August 2, 2015

Day 2 of Detroit from the heart of Tori

We finally arrived to Detroit Love after our 18 hours of travel! As soon as we arrived we were greeted by the awesome Detroit Love staff. We unloaded and then had lunch! After lunch we had a few hours to get to know each other and get settled in. We then got back in cars and went around the neighborhoods.
            My team and I, (Amanda, Ben, C.J., and Katie) along with Kevin, went to the Detroit 
Rescue Mission. We cooked up dinner and then served it to people. At the Rescue Mission, they have men who are temporarily staying there and they serve meals to the public. Seeing these people line up out the door for food, was a really eye-opening experience for me.  I have served in soup kitchens before and every time it is surprising to me. It makes me realize how blessed I am that I don’t have to worry about what or when I may be eating next or where I am going to sleep that night. 
            We returned home and dinner was ready for us. Lori made us some delicious Shepard’s Pie which we all really enjoyed. Following dinner, we did devotions. We did an hour and 45 minutes of studying Phillipians 1:1-8.  God was really working through the group and Kevin was asking us challenging questions which was making us think. 

            I have already learned so much new stuff about God and about the culture of Detroit. I ask that you continue to pray for all of us, that we will trust God and allow him to take us out of our comfort zones in order to share the gospel with these people. I also ask that you pray for this community and that God’s light will pour through.  Please continue to pray for the students we will be working with during VBS, that their hearts will softened and opened to the gospel.  Thank you all so much for all the support. I am so thankful to be a part of this team and I cannot wait to see how God will continue to work this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment