Friday, August 7, 2015

From the heart of Allison

After being in Detroit for just about a week, I didn’t even come close to imagining all the things I’ve seen, and how eye opening each and every day has been for me. With all of the poverty, mental illness, and drug abuse going on in the city I’ve witnessed, there was never a time that I wasn’t feeling slightly sad about how fortunate my life is compared to the lives here, and how in reality I should only be thankful for all of the beautiful things I have going for me.
            For the past week my team and I have been staying and working with Detroit Love, a church group from Florida. We’ve been prayer walker, doing some evangelism work by helping people out, and prepping for the VBS we’ve been doing every day this week. Though it was pretty stressful and tiring at times, I’ve had more fun in these past eight days than I have in a long time.
            Though Friday was our last real day staying in Detroit, I felt it was actually one of the calmer days with not a lot going on. I picked a few green beans for a local garden, made a few more little friends at the Vacation Bible School the Timberwood team was helping lead, and grew even closer to a majority of the Detroit Love interns.

            Overall, I’ve met some pretty incredible people that I wasn’t aware even existed, and I’m so glad God managed to drag me here.

1 comment: