Thursday, July 14, 2016

Day 4 of Big A

Jayda Reier-
As the week winds down none of us have lost our ambition or drive but maybe some energy. We start everyday with breakfast and then devotions follow. We are going through the small but yet impactful book of James. We talk about verses that impacted us from the reading and what we got out of the “theme of the day”, today’s was about taming the tongue. I think we all stopped and took a minute to assess ourselves on how we feel we do at taming our tongue. Then off we went doing either prayer walking or serving in the community. My group along side a couple other members of another group teamed up to start our project on trimming branches that overhung the road and make a hidden stop sign visible again. As there is a big story on how we came about this project that you will have to ask me to tell you if you get a chance but we showed up and this lady Sharleen [who we met the day before and she gave us the idea of the project] was waiting for us with a smile on her face. Now the cool thing about Sharleen was she has been praying for someone to come along and remove overhanging branches from the road that cause people to swerve and to make the stop sign visible to make her walk to the store safer. Then we show up and she called us her angels. So here we have been praying for God to lead us to the right project and then come to find out we did find not only the project God led us to but the one that someone else has been praying for too. It showed me the power of prayer. Big A is what we call VBS here and I really grew a connection to this one girl and really love my whole group. I think that God has shown me I am capable of spreading the word of God.



Brionna Haag
Hi everyone, I hope your week is going great.  I am with the preschool group so we get to hang out with the littler kids (0-6), which is pretty amazing. When the kids come into the room we have free time where we play with the kids. One of the kids that I got to know really well is Amir, and he is the cutest kid. Well, I mean, they are all pretty cute. Anyway, I kept getting Adian and Amir mixed up, so I was like “sorry dude!” Then he said “that’s okay, you can call me what ever you would like to.” At that moment I was so happy because we were building our friendship up. Another story I would like to tell you is when we go into the big gym to hang out with the big kids. We were walking down the stairs and I was carrying Amir. He started to talk about God. Then I was like “YES, he is getting it!” He then continued bringing up God more and more. I just thought that was another cool experience showing us that teaching these amazing kids about God is sinking in. When we get back from VBS we have dinner, and all of us get REALLY excited about dinner. We all pray in a big circle of like 30 people and then eat. After we are done eating, we go up on stage and talk about what we can do differently to help VBS, which makes the next day go smoother. Then we sing and praise God through telling stories of how God showed up throughout the day. After that we have free time where we can do almost whatever we want to do. Most nights we end up bonding within our youth group and with the Detroit youth that come over to the Detroit Love building. Off to bed, have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment