Friday, July 21, 2017

Last Day in Detroit

Hey guys, it’s Summer Mills. The last day of Big A went well! We learned about Abigail and how she saved Nabal from David’s anger. The kids seemed to enjoy the story, and my group was very interested in the questions. They were disappointed when we said that we had gone through them all! The relationships formed over the week were very sweet, and I almost started crying as they walked out the door. All the kids loved us with their whole hearts and showed us that with hugs, laughter, and smiles.
Earlier today, for morning ministries, we got to choose between prayer walking and serving evangelism. My group, which consisted of Katie, Chad, and Samuel, chose to prayer walk downtown and in Heart Plaza. A few people said no, and some got angry, but that didn’t stop us! I saw God in a man who we prayed for twice. When we first walked into Heart Plaza we saw this man sleeping. Samuel, Chad, and I stood a few feet away and prayed over him. After we walked away, the people we asked all said no to prayer, so we were a bit discouraged. This man, however, was awake as we left. We asked him if he would like to pray with us and he happily said yes! We prayed and I walked away with a smile on my face, knowing that God had been there in that situation.
One thing that has surprised me throughout the week is the joy in this city. Like I said, the children love you with their whole hearts, even when they have practically nothing. Another man we prayed for was all smiles and laughter as we talked to him. In a place that I expected to be full of sadness and anger, there was more joy than I thought possible in the conditions these people live in!
We are all super tired and looking forward to sleeping in the car. I don’t know if anyone wrote about the podcast, but we definitely won’t be listening to it for a little while. Please pray for our travels home tomorrow, that we will be safe and will last another 12 or more hours in the car!
See you soon!


Hey everyone, Katie here.  To say this was an amazing week is an understatement.  It’s so cool to see God at work not only in our students, but in the lives of the kids in Detroit and the people we encountered in our ministry each day!  Today was our last day of Big A!  I am in with the Preschool kids and let me tell you, we were outnumbered today, but in all the craziness the kids were taught another story about God’s faithfulness and love for us.  


Something cool that happened this week that has really impacted me is our snack time.  Yep.  I know.  God shows up in areas where we least expect Him!  Amanda and I talked about snack many months ago and decided we wanted to give kids nutritional snacks that they help prepare.  We thought for sure the staff at Detroit Love would think we are crazy.  We told Kevin and Justin about our ideas and they were super stoked!  Justin had just been learning about how kids don’t get the right nutrients and it delays their brain development.  I wish you could all have seen the preschool kids eating strawberries, blueberries and yogurt today!!  And most days the snack was one of the areas where the kids were most well behaved!  So incredible to see God at work in the smallest details that I normally leave Him out of because I don’t think He’d care about it!  As always He showed up big time this week!  I’m off to bed so I can drive tomorrow!  See you all soon!  Thanks for praying for us all week and continuing to pray as we readjust to our normal schedules this week!

1 comment:

  1. I too am always amazed at how God shows up and seems to care about the little things in my life, such as a lost earring or a chance encounter with someone new that doesn't seem like much but then turns out to be an amazing friendship. I think this verse is one that states very well how much God cares for us, even the small stuff...
    "Give God all your worries and all your cares for He is always thinking about you watching everything that concerns you" (1 Peter 5:7).

    ReplyDelete