Friday, July 30, 2021

We have reached the end (and i am really sad)

    Hey besties! As you can see Amanda saved the best for last to write the blog ;) just kidding. I don't even know where or how to start. What an absolutely amazing week this has been. To all the things i've seen to all of the kids and people i've met, I really don't want to come home. I have come to love this city more than I thought I would.

 Today began with egg bake and a bagel, thanks to the amazing cook, Lori. We then had devotional time and this week has really opened my eyes to what love really is and what it means to love like God. It really made me ask myself l "how can I love the people at my church, school, and work how God would". Kevin was such a great teacher and answered all the questions we had. 

With our choice of morning ministries, Joy, Zach, and I decided to go back out to pray over the neighborhood and its people. We had the privilege of having Jacob, one of the summer interns, lead us on our prayer walks the last 3 days. He is such a natural leader and I was really able to see God working through Jacob this week. Today, I was quiet on our walk. I felt like I just needed to listen for what God had to say to me. In the quietness of our walk I began to see more of Gods creation in the simple things. I think that we often skip over the small things and miss how beautiful His creation really is like the flowers growing in the large empty lot of land where several houses used to be that were burnt to the ground or maybe the laughter I heard from a front porch. 

We arrived back to the building and quickly ate lunch so we could go shopping for Detroit merch. It was interesting to see that side of the city after learning about the true problems and history of the city. We then quickly raced back to the building to set up for Big A. I was feeling quite sad knowing that it was the last day. I have grown so close to these girls that I was able to lead in a small group. The hugs and the laughs and the kind words I was able to give made my heart so happy. Knowing that these kids don't experience that in their daily lives just tore me apart. I prayed often this week, asking that God could show them real and true love all the time. 

Throughout Big A I put my all into those kids and when it was time to say goodbye I held back my tears and prayed over them as we sent them off because I knew that they probably wouldn't be able to feel this love until they come back to Big A till next summer. We packed up, exhausted as ever and then got ready for dinner. (it was lasagna which is my favorite food EVERR) after dinner we had our last story of the day (its a time where we all gather to tell stories from our day about how we saw God) and our last worship time which was always my favorite.

 We then had dessert and I started writing this blog but then somehow got distracted and learned a new fact after having to search up how much sugar you would have to consume in one sitting in order to kill you, thanks to Caleb lol. I moved outside and sat by the bonfire surrounded by the team. Even though we weren't out there for long it was still a really nice way to end this trip with laughter and fellowship and it made me really thankful for the relationships that God has placed in my life and that i've been able to grow and develop those this week. To end it all we got a tour of the part of the building  which we couldn’t see before which was super cool (Caleb may tell you different 🦇) and fun to think about the people who once had a life here in this place. 

There is so much more that I could share but I will leave it at that. Thank you to everyone who has prayed over our team and the things we did here. Peace and love ❤️ 

-Mattie😎

ps: Jim is the best leader here

pps: Jim may or may not have told me to tell you that 

No comments:

Post a Comment