Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Detroits got Talent

Hello, and good whatever time you're reading this at to you.

    Today was another eventful day in our time here in Detroit, but before I talk about Detroit, I have a message for a certain someone back home. Today, June 20th, is my sister Maren’s birthday, and I want to wish her a VERY happy birthday! (even if it is a belated one by the time you read this). You'll be getting your permit here soon which I hope you enjoy, and always remember to change out your blinker fluid. Anyways, I hope you had a very happy and blessed day doing something that you enjoy.

    This morning I was able to get an extra 30 minutes of sleep. Now this may not seem like a lot, but it felt nice. Breakfast this morning was really good, as per usual with Mrs. Lori's cooking. After breakfast and a slightly changed up morning schedule, it was time for devos. We're studying 1 Peter, and are getting further into chapter 1. The conversations that we're having about it are deep, and I'm looking forward to the conversations that we are going to have in our next 3 days here. 

    After we finished our devos, we put our bibles and devotional books away and got ready to go serve and spread God's word and the gospel, Yesterday, I prayer walked the neighborhood around the Detroit Love building, and while we did end up praying for the community and buildings in the neighborhood, we didn't end up being able to pray for anyone that was out and about, as people were just being kind of closed in and not wanting to talk. Today, I prayer walked Cass Park, which is an area that is impoverished and has a decent amount of homeless people living in and around it. We ended up talking to a lot of people, and ended up praying for most of them. The really cool God moment of the day though was when I got back to the building. When we got back and started talking with other groups, I found out that the group prayer walking the local neighborhood ended up praying and talking to a lot of people. Last night, I made sure to pray that people would be more open and willing to talk to us, and to see that prayer answered the next day was really cool to see. 

    Before VBS we ate lunch, got prepped for VBS, and most of us took small little naps, and then it was time for VBS, or Big A. I am actually really enjoying Big A, and playing basketball or football with the children that come. Yesterday there was a lot of basketball playing, but today, as soon as I walked in to the building, on of the kids saw a football in the bag and wanted to throw around the football, so that's what we ended up doing. 2/3 of my group members that were here on Monday, weren't here today, so Ashley and I's groups ended up merging together. The game got me completely winded, and the craft was complicated, but I liked it. I think one of the phenomenal things about Big A is seeing how God is loving on the children through us. It's something that I haven't really ever seen before, and it's something that is really cool to see. 

    The taco Tuesday tacos were some of the best tacos I've had in a while, and if I could eat those for every meal until we leave, I would. The game that we played tonight after supper was an interesting one. We split up into two groups, and each came up with an act for an impromptu talent show, Detroits got Talent. Our group came up with a skit that re-enacted the very eventful day that was Sunday. Now, I'm pretty sure that the final verdict was that everyone won, but in my opinion, my group's skit was way better. 

    This is my first time going to Detroit, so I really didn't know what to expect, and have kind of just been going with the flow, but I'm starting to really like it. I came here to see God in action, and to help grow my relationship in Christ, both of which have happened, and are continuing to happen. I'm starting to really love what we're doing here and I'm enjoying it, and looking forward to it more and more each and every day. 

Thank you for taking the time to read the giant essay I've written

- Tyler Wallin

   

No comments:

Post a Comment