Saturday, June 17, 2023

The Turkey Plate - Ashley Wallin

     Today we got into Detroit around 1pm and I had 3,328 cows. Now you might be asking yourself, "What is she talking about?" Well, today we started a game where you can acquire cows by doing a handful of tasks, and let's just say I'm a boss. That's besides the point.

    Our travels today were safe and the Lord was definitely with us through different moments, but we're here in one piece! Besides the handful of stops we made, my car played old maid, sang songs and took well rested naps. Through this joy I could see the Lord working in our hearts alongside the tiredness to bring out the best of us. Our laughs were genuine and I got to know the real people with their guard down. 

    Once we arrived Mrs. Lori had a wonderful lunch prepared for us and we spent more time bonding over silly things in our lives. My God moment for the day was after lunch. The willingness I saw in the hearts of this team was an answered prayer. The months before this trip were spent praying for bonding and unity. This was a big focus of my prayers as well. To see this being answered was truly beautiful and it filled my heart. 

    After a handful of different activities and another wonderful meal by Mrs. Lori, she took us on a tour of the building. There we found treasures of all sorts. Things like urinals, tricycles, shoes, glasses, an old cash register and a turkey plate. Once they were taken from the depths of the building (thanks to Ellie for helping me carry the cash register) the turkey plate became the most valuable possession. It is a simple serving plate with a turkey and oddly-spaced vegetables on it. Though it's nothing special to an ordinary person, it became special to us as a team. It reminded me of how the Lord views us. Though we might not be special to everyone, we are special to Him.

    Now to bring it full circle, I have over 50,000 cows (and counting) and yet again, that's not the point. However, fun moments like that show me the joy the Lord has given us. I will be praying He lets it overflow within us and I hope you will too. 

                                                                                                                           Champion Cow Collector,

                                                                                                                                        -Ashley Wallin 

No comments:

Post a Comment